Something else comfortable for your feet and giving you that extra bit of lift if you need it

A close-up side view of the trainer with built up sole

The NEW modified trainer.
Like the original shoes, this is built for comfort & a bit of warmth a bit more speed BUT has the added bonus of extra height.

This shoe was part of my ongoing attempts to achieve something which would give me

  1. Comfort to allow me to improve my weight bearing.

  2. Give me an increased sense of security against stubbing or hitting my toes.
  3. Have a safe gripping sole for those increasingly weighty steps.
  4. Still allow me to use my exercise spring driven doo-dah
    [see Spring driven Doo-Dah & Wedgie. ]

Following the problems I had back in May 1999 which resulted in the loss of the leg length I'd gained, as I went for union in the corticotomy, I now had a few centimetres difference between the left and right leg.
This posed a problem to the increased weight bearing needed to regenerate the bone. Also as I had suffered an injury to my spine many years previously and now had arthritis, I was aware of the problems I could suffer if I attempted weight bearing whilst dropping up and down with every step.
As before, a visit to my local charity, second-hand shop provided the basis for the built up shoe idea shown.
I found a pair of clumpy, wooden-bodied women's shoes with a rubber sole of around 25mm thick.

Another view of the built-up soled trainer [Note exercise springs]

 
The removal of the sole from the wooden based proved a long winded job but eventually I tore the thing free. It was not long enough to cover the entire underside of the trainer in one length due to the obvious size difference between my great clodhopping feet (UK size 10) and an average woman's foot.
So I decided to seperate the removed lower into two portions [as can be seen from the pictures] and attach them separately to the sole and heel of the trainer.
This actually had an unforeseen advantage of allowing more flexibility around the instep region than would have been possible had I transferred the whole sole and heel assembly as was.
Using a sharp craft knife I cut the assembly into two and affixed these to the trainer using a spray impact adhesive. I expect that any impact adhesive would work equally as well, but the spray type allowed easier distribution on the sole & heel and the recipient trainer.
I afixed the sole section first. After spraying both the rubber add-on and the trainer sole I waited until the glue had reached the requisite 'tackiness'. I then assembled sole to sole and clamped it until a good bond had been formed. This I did by crushing the whole trainer under the leg of a chair that I was sitting on !
I then repeated the performance with the heel assembly.
When I was totally satisfied with the strength of the fixing, using the craft knife and a small junior hacksaw, I trimmed the excess material where necessary, attempting to make the new additions follow the original lines of the shoe.
Yes, I appreciate that a black sole would have looked better on a black trainer but I never said that I was one for foresight!
Then I took the thing for a test walk.

IT FELT WONDERFUL!

 
Personally I'd have to say it was a total success. I immediately felt far more secure than I had, even when compared to wearing two similar shoes but of different sole/heel thicknesses.
I believe that it has been of great assistance to me at the gym also. I now feel more secure when I'm using the treadmill or even, more recently when using the stair stepper machine.
Hopefully as this has allowed me to increase the amount of pressure I can place on the forming bone, I will see an even greater increase in the callus formation on my next series of x-rays.

PLEASE NOTE:

AS ALWAYS, CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING ANY SUCH MODIFICATIONS.
IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT AS TO YOUR ABILITY TO MAKE SUCH A SHOE, DON'T DO IT!
IF YOUR DOCTOR SAYS DON'T DO IT, THEN DON'T! HE'S THE PERSON TO ULTIMATELY LISTEN TO!
I WOULD ALSO ONLY RECOMMEND SUCH AN ATTEMPT AS IN A SIMILAR CASE TO MINE WHERE THE DESCREPANCY IN LENGTH IS A MATTER OF 20 TO 30 MILLIMETRES. ANY MORE THAN THAT AND I FEEL THAT STABILITY OF HOME ASSEMBLY AND READILY AVAILABLE MATERIALS COULD POSE A SERIOUS PROBLEM.
IN SHORT

IF IN DOUBT - DON'T!


Back to the footwear and clothing index

Back to the contents page